Thursday, October 11, 2007

Curveballs are fun

One of my favorite things about life is not knowing what will happen next. I'm not a planner. I book vacations, take new jobs and go on dates without planning... I like just doing the things that pop into my crazy little head. The idea of planning for the future bores the bejesus out of me, frankly. I didn't know what I wanted to do for a living in college, I haven't ever planned for my "someday" wedding (even when I was engaged) and I don't know what I'm going to wear to work until I wake up and yank whatever clothes I see first out of my closet.

But I like that. I like the adventure of not knowing what's going to happen next. That doesn't mean I never worry or I'm easy breezy all the time. It just means I learned at a young age how to do what the alcoholics at meetings teach each other to do -- "Let go and let God." Besides the minute you start to think that plans mean everything is the same minute God throws you a curve ball and reminds you that he's in control.

That being said, everything lately that's been "surprising" me has... well, it's sucked. BUT I still believe in the power of not knowing and not wanting to know everything the future has in store for me. It hasn't fucked me up so bad so far.

No comments: